Monday, September 19, 2011

Scenic Half 10k Recap

I was completely giddy when I got up yesterday morning, like a child on Christmas Morning, totally pumped. I love the anticipation and the build up of race day. It's an awesome feeling and that's one of the main reasons I enjoy being in a race. I'm an adrenaline junkie and I thrive in that kind of environment.

My main focus on this run was training and being a support for my stepmom. She really pushed herself on this race and PR'd as well as placed in her age group. Whoo HOO!!




I was definitely her pacer because she needed to listen to music and she couldn't talk and run at this pace so I just cruised next to her. It was pretty cool to be the one keeping the pace and encouraging her on. We stopped and walked through all the aid stations for water and I didn't stop my garmin. She ran the whole time and only asked to stop once in the sixth mile because her foot was bugging her and her Ipod was stuck on the same song and she needed to switch it. I asked her if she wanted to sprint to the finish and she did. When we rounded the corner just after mile 6 and only had .22 to go I picked up the pace and as soon as we saw the finish sign I yelled just let me know when you want to sprint and she yelled "This is me sprinting!!" I looked down at my watch a realized we were in the 9's and felt bad for asking that because if I would of looked at my watch before I would of realized that we were doing a sprint for her. At the end she was stoked though with the time.



Garmin Time of 1:09:46 6.24 miles
Mile 1 11:03
Mile 2 11:04
Mile 3 11:23
Mile 4 11:22
Mile 5 10:59
Mile 6 11:38
Mile .24 2:13 (9:23/mile pace)

I don't know the official time and it's still not up on their website....hmmm

Immediately after the race I had to run to my lil bean because she was not feeling very well. I had to nurse her on a park bench facing the lake...luckily there was not anyone else around and my hubby guarded me. She then pooped and had to change her diapee on the same park bench, I put her on my lap because it was cold. She was really tired and didn't take a nap while I was running so I had to carry her around and until she was feeling better and then I gave her back to my hubby so I could get my pic and then she threw up all over him :( Needless to say right after that I knew we had to get going and I wasn't going to get my free pic or massage. A mother's job never ends.  I carried her back to the car and she fell asleep. She is doing better now and didn't throw up again. Not sure if she got stressed because I was gone or what because she had no fever.

I also met Tasha in person who I had met on the Dailymile and she also has a blog. She is a super fast runner, an inspiration to me and was very nice. We didn't get to chat very much due to the lil bean but it was great meeting her in person.

Ok, I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed with myself in this race. I was glad I helped my stepmom complete the race and get her personal best but last night when I got home I just felt BLAH. It's probably just the post race blues. But I guess what I'm disappointed with is the fact that last year I could run 6 miles in 45 minutes in a training run. Yes and that was before I was pregnant and before I gained all the weight from pregnancy. I guess what I am disappointed with is the fact I gained so much weight and put myself in this state and I just want my fitness back and my speed back., it will come, it's just frustrating until it does. My thoughts last night dragged me down even until this morning until I started to think of all I have accomplished since having my lil bean:
1) I have a bright beautiful healthy little girl.
2) I'm a stay at home mom (Yes I love this!)
3) I've already lost 56 lbs (26 lbs of those have been counting calories and exercising, the first 30 went off super easy in the 8 weeks after giving birth)
4) I only have 18 lbs to go...it's in the teens now
5) In the last 4 months I dropped my EASY running pace from 13 min miles to 11 min miles.

Overall I need to not focus on the here and now regarding my weight and my speed. I need to look ahead and keep my eyes focused on the prize. I will be skinny again and I will be fast again, it might take another year or two, but it will happen. God reminded me of this verse:

"while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18



"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

I NEED to BELIEVE not only in Him but in myself and that He gave me the gift of running and I need to enjoy it and I need to enjoy life.

Thank You Lord for turning my frown upside down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment