Sunday, January 8, 2012

Longest Run Post Babycakes

Saturday I ran 9 miles which is the farthest I've ran since Miss Bean was born.

Yes, it took over 10 months to accomplish something that some mom's have run less than 6 months after they gave birth but, they didn't gain 74 lbs over their pregnancy and they got to run during their pregnancy.

Although I looked forward to running my longest run yet I wasn't in much of a mood to run yesterday.
I kept procrastinating and my hubby finally said, you better go because your just delaying the inevitable. I thought "I KNOW!!" So I reluctantly put on my two layers of tights, two layers of Under Armour cold gear shirts and prepared my Nuun and hydration belt (since I'm nursing I found I have to have water on runs longer than 45 minutes).  It was cold outside, 30 degrees to be exact and I was not wanting to be cold.

I got out of the house at 11:49 after some quick warm up exercises and started my run.
Stiff and sore were the words to describe my legs but I kept trucking. I decided to run a new route yesterday for a change of scenery but 1/2 mile into the run I realized this probably wasn't the best decision because 1) there was about a foot of shoulder to run on that was gravel and slanted into a small ditch for majority of the run and 2) HILLS, 5 of them, and 1 that was 10% grade for a 1/4 mile...grrr.

After about 4.5 miles a side path showed up which was a relief and it was flat after about 5 miles which was made me much happier. I cruised for 3 miles tackling two more small hills and than my last mile I decided to kick up the pace because I still had energy in me. I was surprised myself with running my last mile in 8:09 after running 8 miles with hills. Next week is an easy week full of easy pace runs that are 3 and 4 miles so next week will be nice however, I will more than likely be running these runs with the stroller so it does take some of the "easiness" out of them.

I also have been "exercise streaking" with Mom vs Marathon for the month of January. I have worked out everyday this week for at least 30 minutes except for today but I still have time and probably will lift some weights or do a Pilate's video.

Here are my stats for the 9 miler:
Mile 1: 10:09
Mile 2:  9:59
Mile 3:  9:38
Mile 4:  9:51
Mile 5:  9:27
Mile 6:  9:16
Mile 7:  9:32
Mile 8:  9:55
Mile 9:  8:09
Total:  1:25:59   Avg Pace: 9:33/mile

I also am thinking about running a half marathon in either March or April with my running mentor, he is in his 60's, a marathoner and he still runs 8-9 minute miles, he currently is recovering from an injury but should be in shape by that time and the race we were talking about doing on March 1st filled up so now we are looking for another one to run either in Seattle or Spokane/Coeur d'Alene.
Anyone know of any races in the those areas?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first long run post Miss Bean! That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete