Monday, March 19, 2012

Week 2 of Half Marathon Training

This week was a flip-flop week. The first half of the week I struggled with  my runs and even missed one and the second part of the week went AWESOME!




Monday: Stretch and Strengthen

What I did: 40 minutes of Yoga and Stretching



Tuesday: 3 mile "easy" run

What I did: 3 mile "not so easy" run with the stroller:

This run was massive resistance training!! Holy Moly the bursts of wind were powerful and I did my best to run fast while it wasn’t blowing hard and then I tried sprinting into the wind to not loose speed. When I was done I felt as if I had done a strength workout too. I remember thinking when I was running and pushing into the wind that this is what it must feel like when you run with a parachute behind you!

Total Time: 27:41 Avg. Pace 9:13/mile



Wednesday: 30 minute Tempo Run

Description of Tempo Run per Hal Higdon: This is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10-K race pace. A Tempo Run of 30 to 45 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, build to 15-20 minutes near the middle, then 5-10 minutes easy toward the end. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout. Hold that peak only for a minute or two. I consider Tempo Runs to be the "Thinking Runner's Workout." A Tempo Run can be as hard or easy as you want to make it, and it has nothing to do with how long (in time) you run or how far. In fact, the times prescribed for Tempo Runs serve mainly as rough guidelines. Feel free to improvise. Improvisation is the heart of doing a Tempo Run correctly.

What I did: Going into this run I felt pretty tired since Miss Bean didn’t have a very good night sleeping which means either did I! I also ran this up on the South Hill since my mother in law watched Miss Bean while I ran and I went up to her house. First of all my Garmin acted up for almost the first mile and I couldn’t tell how fast I was running; it said 14 minute mile then 11 minute mile and then 8 minute mile…What the heck?? By the time I figured out I was running an 8 something mile it was too late. Second I finally got some headphones for my IPod and I was listening to music…techno…to be exact…which makes me run fast! Makes me drive fast too but that’s another story! Therefore I didn’t ease into this run AT ALL, I bolted in! When I looked down and saw that my first mile was 8:38, I about gave up but, then I tried to slow down for a minute or so and see if I could pick it up after that. I ran .15 of mile in 1:23 (9:32/mile pace) and then I was on to my 2nd mile which was 8:22 which was fine since I got faster but not by much. But then it went from ok to CRAP!! I started feeling out of breath and was huffing and then there was a hill, Blah! 3rd mile 9:01 Therefore, I botched this run up and didn’t run it like I was supposed to, I guess Hal said it was about improvisation right?! I ran easy up a hill to my in laws house and rounded out my run to just over 4 miles.

Total Run was 4.04 miles in 37:53 Avg. Pace 9:23/mile



Thursday: 3 mile "easy" run + Strength

What I did: Raining Cats and Dogs?!! Oh yes it was! At least by the time I was ready to go run! It had been raining all day and if I had went around noon the rain was light enough that it could have been runnable but I procrastinated and didn’t workout till around 6 PM. I determined that I wanted to get a good workout in and thought doing 2 levels of Jillian’s 30 Day Shred would do the trick. I did Level 1 with ease and even did the “advanced” exercises. Then there was Level 2 and Oh did I question my rational on the first set of exercises! My my, sweat was dripping down my forehead and into my eyes! Phew! I was sooo glad when this was over. But I felt like a ROCKSTAR after!! Boo Yaa!!



Friday: Rest Day

What I did: I did NOTHING!!



Saturday: 3 mile "pace" run

Description of Pace from Hal Higdon: lot of runners look at my training schedules and ask, "What do you mean by 'pace?'" I mean "race pace," the pace at which you expect to run the half marathon. Some workouts are designed as pace runs to get you used to running the pace you will run in the race. In Week 10, for example, I ask you to do "5 m race pace." Hopefully that is self-explanatory, but I offer more directions in the weekly screens. You might want to do a short warm-up before starting each of these pace runs.

What I did: Before this run I hemmed and hawed about what “pace” I was aiming for and decided maybe 8:10-8:20 would be doable but I would just run more by “feel” instead of staring at my Garmin the whole time. I started out with a nice warm-up of .36 of a mile and then eased into a rhythm where I felt like it was hard but still runnable. My first mile was 8:10 and I thought I might as well run the second mile 2 seconds faster and I actually DID so my second mile was 8:08 and then I ran my last mile not really looking much at myGarmin and also the last half was down hill and the 3rd mile ended up being 7:58, whoo hoo!! !! I ran a nice little cool down after. This run boosted my confidence since I was kind of thinking maybe I was slower than I thought but I realize now that there are going to be good days and bad days; good runs and bad runs.

 The total of my run was 3.87 miles in 32:40 Avg. Pace 8:27/mile



Sunday: 6 mile "Long Run"

What I did: Family Run for the first 3 miles!! My hubby did great and I pushed the stroller for the second half of the 3 so that he could run longer. This is probably the max he will run with me now although I hope one day that he will cross over to my side and do a half marathon J He is well able to but doesn’t have the desire to…yet!  The second half of my run was PURE BLISS!! You ever have a run where the trees dance and the sky sings? Well this was mine! I brought my IPod and turned it on after my hubby and I split ways and listened to some Hillsong and then I felt so much appreciation bubble up within me for all the wonderful people and things in my life. I thanked God for my hubby and how awesome he is for running with me even after working 6 days a week with 16-18 hour days, construction work that is!! I thanked God for my beautiful daughter who humors me with here little giggles, gestures and saying Mmmm when I feed her something she likes and how she is already very social and says Hi! to everyone we meet. I thanked God for the gift of running and being able to do something I love while getting in shape. The list goes on and on and I just wouldn’t have room to write it all down! It was my APPRECIATION RUN!! I named it that after. I finished in 6.24 miles. I know I have random mileage this week but I decided I’m going to run till I feel content with my run and not set my goals according to just "the plan" because I want to have freedom in my training because I intend my running to be freeing!!

Here are my splits:

Mile 1: 9:28 (at hubby's pace…he’s getting faster!)

Mile 2: 9:50 (at hubby's pace)

Mile 3: 9:55 (at hubby’s pace...lots of hills on this mile too)

Mile 4: 8:43 (I was in my thankful mode and not paying attention to pace whatsoever!)

Mile 5: 9:07

Mile 6: 9:10

.24:       2:18 Avg. Pace 9:45/mile

Total Miles 6.24 in 58:35 Avg. Pace 9:24/mile



Weekly Mileage Total: 16.5 miles



This week was low and then it was high but I’m thankful I fought through it and ran those last 2 runs because on Friday I wanted to give up since the first half of my week had felt so defeating. I learned a valuable lesson though; I learned if you live according to someone else’s idea of success you will constantly fall short and feel as if you are a failure but if you live using your own technique and your own gift you will succeed! Running is about having fun while being fit and not striving to execute every run according to Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway or whoever designed the plan. Run hard on the days that you feel great and run easy on the days when you are struggling because without making it enjoyable you will begin to hate what you love!


I had to share this pic of Miss Bean!! She is too cute sipping on Starbucks (not really she just has my empty cup) in her Under Armour Shirt and Skirt sporting her new Adidas shoes!!

8 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a pretty decent week. Congrats on the 7:58- that IS a HUGE confidence booster!!!!

    Love Miss Bean's outfit, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Tasha!! Yes 7:58 after running 2 made me pretty happy :)

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with what you said at the end about the reasons for doing it. It is, unfortunately, easy in the sport of running to have it turn into a chore instead of a joy, and when you feel that happening, it is time to reassess!

    I like to make training plans that have hard days and easy days, and I like to encourage my clients to really follow what they day has. However, if a hard day is scheduled and they don't have it, move it to another day and get the quality that was planned. That way they get to enjoy the easy days of training (which still do them good for their goal race) AND push themselves to boost confidence and fitness.

    Great training week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Bean's outfit is AWESOME!


    I love reading your training recaps because it really shows how each run is different. Good job getting it all done!

    Gonna be in Spokane in a couple months for a dog show, I think. We should run together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I commented on this post, and just realized I didn't! I've done 2 levels of Jillian's shred a few times too, and like you, felt SO hard core! I love your appreciation run... now that I'm running outdoors again (and not distracted by the gym or music blaring in spin class) I'm trying to enjoy the peace and quiet and use that time to pray or think or let myself "be"... ADORABLE little bean you have there!

    ReplyDelete