Monday, May 21, 2012

Week 10 and Week 11 of Half Marathon Training

Since I never posted last weeks review of week 10 this post contains week 10 and week 11 of half marathon training. However, my goal race has changed and I will update you on the changes throughout this post since it was kind of a progressive decision.


What I did follows:



Monday: Stretch and Strengthen

What I did: I didn’t do anything. Mentally and Physically I was spent and didn’t desire to do single thing other then hang out with my daughter.



Tuesday: 5 mile "easy" run

What I did: Nothing once more…huge mental barrier to even think out running or working out.



Wednesday: 45 minute tempo run

What I did: Nothing yet again. At this point I think my training or should I say racing has made me burnt out (mentally…not physically).



Thursday: 3 mile "easy" run + Strength

What I did:  Ok at this point I needed some help. I logged into my Daily Mile account and posted a note asking for some encouragement. I was able to talk through some anxiety about whether I should race my half or not because I didn’t want to become dehydrated again due to nursing. Couple of wonderful ladies and moms helped me out and I decided to do some yoga and then ran 3 of the slowest miles I have run in a long time.

Ran 3 miles in 33:27 Average Pace: 11:09/mile



Friday: Rest Day

What I did: Nothing and I started to feel better about not racing my half and possibly just running it for fun with my sis-in-law or racing the 5k.





Saturday: 5 “pace” miles

What I did: 5 “pace” miles

I started this run sort of in a fog and unsure if I was going to be able to hit my pace since I ran so slow on Thursday. I had been disappointed with quite a few things in my life and not just running. I really just wanted to run and pray and try to hit my goal pace and if not I knew it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I put my phone on Pandora and set it to the Hillsong United station and was just running along let the praise music take my mind off of the things going on and fixing it on Jesus. It’s amazing how God will touch my heart and cause me to be overwhelmed in His Peace and then in His Presence I find my strength.
*Zephaniah 3:17:
The Lord your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior.
He will exult over you with joy,
He will be quiet in His love,
He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.

*Psalm 28:7:
The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him.

First mile 8:15

*Romans 8:15: For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “ Abba! Father!”

Yes my Heavenly Daddy Loves Me!!

Second Mile 8:18

*Romans 8:18: For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Keep your eyes focused on the things unseen and not seen!!

*2 Corinthians 4:17-18
For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison,  while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

I see the light…the light at the end of tunnel…although just a glimmer of hope...it is there!

Third Mile 8:12

*Romans 8:12
So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh—

My obligation is not to man but to God! He is who made me, me!

*Psalm 139:13
For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.

Fourth Mile 8:20

*Matthew 28:20b
…And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Jesus is with me!

Fifth Mile 8:11

*Romans 8:11
The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.

He is my way, He is my life and His love will light the way for me!

By the end of the 6 miles I was relieved and refreshed. My Shepherd always puts my mind at ease and calms my soul.

*Psalm 23:1-4
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.


 Total run 6.05 miles in 51:40 Average Pace: 8:33/mile



Sunday: 11 mile run

What I did: 5k Family Fun Run

This day was Mother’s Day and I decided that I would take a week off from a Long Run and just do a fun “naked” (no Garmin) run! We ran what we though was about 3 miles and then after I got home I mapped it ad it was actually 3.10 miles which was a  5k! I also didn’t have enough time to run much longer since I had to clean the house and prepare the food (which my hubby ended up doing, Thank You!) for Mother’s Day BBQ we were having. Here is a couple pics from the day:
My precious Miss Bean and Me

Miss Bean and Her Daddy
Miss Bean, My Mama and Me (this was actually 5 days post Mothers day)



Week 11 of Half Marathon Training

What I did follows:

Monday: Stretch and Strengthen
What I did: 2 mile walk with Miss Bean
Went on a 2 mile walk with Miss Bean pushing her in the stroller. I wanted to do Yoga but never got around to it though.  

Tuesday: 5 mile "easy" run
What I did: 2 mile family run
I wanted to run with my hubs since he is trying to run 3 days a week so I told him I would push the stroller and we could do an easy 2 miles. He said before we left, “Why is it I’m thinking this is going to be fast?” well his fast that is J I wanted to go a little bit quicker than a normal easy run with the stroller.
Ran 2 miles in 18:26 Average Pace 9:13/mile

Wednesday: 10x400 5k pace
What I did: Didn’t have anyone to watch Miss Bean so I had to wait till Thursday to run this workout. I would try and push the stroller but I just don’t think it is smart since I know I injured myself running faster with it before. I need to build my core more before I run speed with the stroller, that’s my plan at least.

Thursday: 3 mile "easy" run + Strength
What I did:  10x400 at 6:35/mile with 400 jog in middle, 2 miles warm up/down, strength
I was going to run this outside however I didn’t realize when I put my Garmin on the charger last that it didn’t actually start charging therefore, my battery was dead. I had to therefore go to the gym and run this on the treadmill. The speed workout was definetley a battle and I had to fight to finish by the 5th 400 because it seemed so much harder to run on the treadmill at the even pace since I think I usually run out my 400’s progressively outside. I did it though and it felt good to know I had ran a total of 2.5 miles at a 6:35/mile pace (even though I had jogs in the middle).

Ran 7 miles in 58:50 Average Pace: 8:24/mile at Treadmill Incline 1%

Friday: Rest Day
What I did: 1 mile walk with Miss Bean
Went on a little walk with Miss Bean to calm her down to go to bed. I also wanted to do Yoga on this day but it just didn’t happen, ugh! I believe Miss Beans premolars are coming in so I think that is why she hasn’t been cranky and not sleeping well.

Saturday: 3 “pace” miles
What I did: 5 stroller miles
I didn’t have anyone to watch Miss Bean again and I didn’t want to run fast pushing the stroller so I met up with my sis-in-law and we went for a run on the Centennial Trail in the Bowl and Pitcher section. It’s a beautiful run along the river but with a steep hill that was a beast running up while pushing the stroller. I felt like Rocky…a little…EYE OF THE TIGER…shall I say?! Boo Yaa!!!
Total run 5 miles in 48:05 Average Pace: 9:37/mile

Sunday: 12 mile run
What I did: 11 mile run
My mom was able to watch Miss Bean so I was able to meet up with my sis-in-law again to run 11 or 12 miles, we determined we would figure out how long we wanted to run once we got into the run with how we felt. She mapped out a route and the first half was down hill and the second was up gradual uphill so it was a fairly challenging route to run. I also would run at her long run pace which is about a minute slower than my long run pace so that was also a challenge.
We had a great time though just chatting away about different things and the miles just flew by. She was pretty sore since not only did she run with me the day before but that Friday she had rode 18 miles on a bike, so we decided we would end at 11 miles. I was cool with that too because my feet were aching by mile 9. I talked over the pros and cons with her about running the Coeur d’Alene Half and I knew I didn’t want to race it but I thought we could maybe try for a “Fun” PR (stole this from Harmony at Keep on Keeping On) but I still didn’t know about staying hydrated with nursing and I also didn’t know if my feet would like me after running that long. I didn’t realize until now that the shoes I bought, the Saucony Powergrid Cortanas, are actually a performance training shoe and have only a 4mm drop in the sole. So that explains why my calves and feet are so achy after long runs because it didn’t start happening till I got the shoes!! Funny thing is that I went to the local running store to get shoes so that I wouldn’t have any issues…they just forgot to mention this to me while they were having me try shoes on. It also explains why I have this love/hate relationship with them, I love them on short quick runs but not so much on long runs…hmmm...that’s because they are not an ideal shoe to run long runs in (at least not intinally I’m sure if I had eased into running with them it would have been a different story). Which leads to my decision to race the 5k instead of the half on Sunday in Coeur d’Alene. I feel at peace about this and am actually getting excited to race 5k!
 11 miles in 1:57:38 Average Pace:10:41/mile

3 comments:

  1. Good choice Kris! Not because I think you wouldn't do good on the half (I think you'd surprise yourself) but it's about being comfortable with your choices! :) So yay! Hope you have a great 5K!

    I've been looking at the See Jane Run in Seattle too - my only hesitation there is the comments from last years participants that the course was a little marginal (crowded with some areas barely 5ft wide).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh - forgot to mention... love, love the scripture references. That gave a really neat perspective. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Zephaniah passage. Great mother's day pictures! And I'm glad you came to a decision you're happy with. Go rock that 5k! :)

    ReplyDelete