Thursday, May 3, 2012

Week 8 of Half Marathon Training

Sorry this is late my peeps but Miss Bean is teething again and not taking very long naps so that I can Blog.


What I did follows:



Monday: Stretch and Strengthen

What I did: Yoga Meltdown Level 1 by Jillian Michaels
Great Yoga workout for anyone looking for non-Ohm type of Yoga. LOL  



Tuesday: 4.5 mile "easy" run

What I did: I decided not to run since I was experiencing some shin splints and tight calves. I’m guessing this was due to all the speed work I had been running and my race. (The tightness and shin slipts are gone now though J )



Wednesday: 40 minute Tempo Run

What I did: 4.13 mile "easy" run with the stroller:

I struggled on this run and got mad at my Garmin after about a mile and threw it in the stroller so needless to say I don’t have stats for this one. It was slow and I did do a bit of walking.



Thursday: 3 mile "easy" run + Strength

What I did: Killer Buns and Thighs by Jillian Michaels and 3 miles with Stroller

Another awesome video by Jillian and am glad I added it to my collection. Hoping to have a nice butt soon J lol After doing the video I ran 3 really slow and easy miles with the stroller and felt pretty good.

Run Time: 3 miles at 30:04 Average Pace: 10:01/mile



Friday: Rest Day

What I did: Yoga Meltdown Level 1 by Jillian Michaels

Really like doing this on “Rest” days because it helps me body feel more in balance.  





Saturday: 5 mile Pace run

What I did: 7 miles total, 1 mile warm-up followed by 5 miles at “Pace” and 1 mile cool down.

I had to go up to the South Hill to run since Hubs was working (on his birthday!!). I did a warm up with the first half up a couple hills and the second half going down. I started my 5 mile “pace” going down a gradual decent so my pass was fairly fast to start out with. I decided to run down a busy road and back which was not a good idea because there was a car wash and a penny drive going on and I got held up by cars and people which caused me to miss my time a bit because I didn’t get my watched stopped in time or not at all. The last 2 miles had the gradual incline followed by a short decline and then 1 mile cool down with some more hills. Overall I was impressed with the fact that I felt stronger running up the hills and not as winded. But the real test will be Bloomsday on how the hills feel J

7 miles in 1:00:59
Average Pace: 8:41
Mile 1: 9:25 (warm-up)
Mile 2: 8:02 (a tad too fast, should be running 8:10-8:19)
Mile 3: 8:14 (ahh, just right)
Mile 4: 8:20 (missed it by 1 second)
Mile 5: 8:26 (didn’t get watched stopped in time when a car pulled out in front of me)
Mile 6: 7:51 (redemption mile, BooYaa!)
Mile 7: 10:20 (a cool down with hills is not much of a cool down)



Sunday: 10 mile run

What I did: 11 mile run (I’m a mile ahead since I increased my long run instead of a race one week)

Legs felt fatigued going into this run which is good since that’s going to happen in the race. My mental state and energy banks were low and I didn’t know if I was going to want to run this long nor did I know if the energy was in me to do it. I had to wait for my Hubs to get home from work so I wouldn’t have to push the stroller for 11 miles (just not ready for that yet) and I wanted to do a short run with him if he wanted to. He got home and wanted to run and he really impressed me by running 4 miles, and all the miles were under 10 minutes while pushing the stroller (he’s got Big Guns though!). When I got out there and was running I felt good and decided I would run the full 11 and just go a flatter route because I was initially planning more hill running but decided to give myself a break. I felt pretty strong till about mile 8 and then I started to feel the fatigue in my legs. I took my PowerAde caffeine gummies because they work better for me while running long distances than GU does. GU doesn’t sit well in my stomach, I found that out when I tried the peanut butter GU which was delicious but just didn’t work well for me. I thought I might have to go the bathroom too but it subsided (sorry TMI) and I really didn’t want to stop at a gas station. After mile 8 I got a 2nd wind and was able to maintain a good easy pace for the remaining 3 miles. This run boosted my confidence because the distance is soo close to the half marathon distance and knowing I can run that far now helps me believe my 2nd half marathon will be easier than my first J

11 miles in 1:46:22
Average Pace: 9:40/mile
Mile 1:   9:40
Mile 2:   9:51
Mile 3:   9:51
Mile 4:   9:32
Mile 5:   8:59
Mile 6:   9:48
Mile 7:   9:46
Mile 8: 10:05
Mile 9:   9:34
Mile 10: 9:37
Mile 11: 9:33



Total Weekly Mileage: 25.13 running miles

I have a 12k coming up on Sunday called Bloomsday.  It’s a huge race for Spokane and over 50,000 people show up and run/walk it. The race is a challenging course with a hill called Doomsday, because its .72 miles long and rises 145 feet and happens to be 2/3 into the race. Looking forward to racing and enjoying the journey J


Anyone else racing this weekend?

7 comments:

  1. Nice week, Kris! Do you have a foam roller? Foam rolling your shins and calves for 5 minutes every morning and evening will make a world of difference. I have been foam rolling my legs consistently for several weeks now and they feel great. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do! I usually roll after my runs but I'll start doing it in the morning and night now. Thanks for the advice :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck at Bloomsday. You will rock the hill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a foam roll addict - I roll out quickly after each workout & then again at night after my stretching regime. Well - I did before this annoying bed rest thing.
    Good luck on your race on Sunday - can't wait to read about it. Greaat time on your 11 miles - your half is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the short naps- L went through that phase as a baby too and it was the worst! Have a blast at the race! I'm doing a last minute 5k that's right in our neighborhood. It will be hot, so I'm not worrying too much about pace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go girl!! Excited for Bloomsday! I may have to join you next year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sister!! I would love to run it with you
      Next year :)

      Delete