Friday, June 1, 2012

Running, it's in my Blood!



Before I was an actual “Runner” or should I say Running was my sport of choice, I always liked to run.

While I played basketball I always wanted to be the fastest down the court whether it was running lines or in the game.  In tennis I was one of the fastest girls on the team when we ran a warm up mile. I knew I enjoyed running and I was even told by my PE Teacher Freshman year to run Track but, I didn’t listen until my senior year. I ran the 100 and 300 hurdles my senior year and I liked it but really did prefer running over the hurdles but for some reason I didn’t feel like I would excel at “just” running. Fast Forward to today and I love to run. It helps me think and it brings me closer to God. It is a part of my very essence. When I run it feels natural, it feels like running is what I was made to do. My blood flows best while I’m running.

You may be asking yourself, where does this lead Kris? Well it leads me to share with you that I am going on a diet.  Not a “diet” per say to lose weight (although I intend to lose some inches and a couple of lbs while I’m at it) but, a lifestyle change for the betterment of my overall health.

What diet am I starting?

The Blood Type Diet

That’s right, the Blood Type Diet.

How did I find out about this diet?

Well after my half marathon on Sunday I was talking with my step-brother and he is a runner/triathlete/rugby player (athletic nonetheless!) and he does not eat Gluten or Dairy. I asked him “Why?” and  he said that it does not sit well with his Blood Type. “Huh? What is your Blood Type?” I retorted. He responded “I’m a Type O.” Interesting I thought because I am a Type O as well. He and my sis in law both went to a Naturopath to have there blood type tested and get on the correct diet for their blood type. It has helped my step-brother tremendously because he used to have digestive issues as well as fight some mild depression but, after taken gluten/dairy out of his diet he does not fight either. He also would gain weight every time he would start training because his body was only getting 1/3 of the nutrition it needed because the gluten would swell his intestines and they would not absorb the food he was eating! After the diet change he lost 3 inches in his waist and he eats however much he wants. 

After Sunday I started thinking about my diet because I have fought bloating, nausea and mild depression as well. I am back down to a healthy pre-baby weight but I know I still could stand to loose about another  10 lbs to be at my “ideal” weight and although weight does not matter to me I would like to be more toned and firm. I usually eat a lot of wheat/gluten and I like milk, yogurt and ice cream! So I would have to make a major lifestyle change.  But I knew it would be worth it but I wanted to also understand the depth behind cutting gluten and dairy out. Why gluten and why dairy? Why would that have anything to do with my blood type?

Enter: GOOGLE search----led me to Eat Right for your Type (link)

Your key to biochemical individuality

Welcome to official website of Dr. Peter D'Adamo and the first science that understands you as a biochemical individual. Following decades of ongoing research and clinical work, Dr. D'Adamo created The Blood Type Diets™, a way of eating and living that has transformed the health of millions.”

 (source)

Ooo…I eagerly read on because I thoroughly enjoy anything to do with genetics and how we are formed.  Science was one of my favorite subjects in school and I was studying to be a microbiologist before I had to leave college.

I went to Individual Diets—Type  O

Here is a few paragraphs from what I read or you can read the full description here.

What Makes a 'Type O'
an Individual?

What makes Me Me and You You?

This is the question that is at the heart of the genetic puzzle. It is also central to our exploration of blood types. The key is genetic heritage - the story line of your life. Even though you are living in the 21st century, you share a common bond with your ancestors. The genetic information that resulted in their particular characteristics has been passed on to you.

People who are O blood type have a different set of characteristics than people who are Type B or Type A - they are susceptible to different diseases, they should eat different foods and exercise in a completely different manner. Some believe that personality is influenced by blood type! Dr. D'Adamo, author of the best selling books Eat Right for Your Type and Live Right for Your Type, among others, gives us a blueprint for living in his books. Read on to learn more about the Type O individual.

The Type O Profile

Type O was the first blood type, the type O ancestral prototype was a canny, aggressive predator. Aspects of the Type O profile remain essential in every society even to this day – leadership, extroversion, energy and focus are among their best traits. Type O’s can be powerful and productive, however, when stressed Type O’s response can be one of anger, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. When Type O wiring gets crossed, as a result of a poor diet, lack of exercise, unhealthy behaviors or elevated stress levels, Type O’s are more vulnerable to negative metabolic effects, including insulin resistance, sluggish thyroid activity, and weight gain. When you customize your life to Type O’s strengths you can reap the benefits of your ancestry. Your genetic inheritance offers you the opportunity to be strong, lean, productive, long-lived and optimistic.


Type O Personality?

In Japan, blood type has long been associated with personality type. You might well be asked your blood type on a job interview! In an independent study of 45 MBA students, Type O’s most often described themselves in ways related to the following characteristics; responsible, decisive, organized, objective, rule-conscious, and practical. Both male and female Type O’s reported a higher percentage of the mesomorphic body type when compared to controls. Interestingly, Type O’s also scored significantly higher than the rest in “sensing” – using the 5 senses to gather information, and in the sensing-thinking combination, indicating that they are more detail and fact oriented, logical, precise and orderly. “I believe that the tendency to sense and get facts right stems from the inbred hunter-gatherer need to observe and accurately assess the environment in order to insure survival.” Says D’Adamo.

Manage Your Type O Stress

The legacy of your Type O ancestry causes an immediate “fight or flight” response in people of this blood type. However, this finely tuned response to stress, so vital in early Type O’s, is not always so beneficial in modern times. The Type O response can cause bouts of excessive anger, temper tantrums, hyperactivity and even create a severe enough chemical imbalance to bring about a manic episode. Since there is a powerful, synergistic relationship between the release of dopamine and feelings of reward, Type O is more vulnerable to destructive behaviors when overly tired, depressed or bored. These can include gambling, sensation seeking, risk taking, substance abuse and impulsivity. To avoid becoming overstressed, Dr. D’Adamo recommends following the Type O diet, which focuses on lean, organic meats, vegetables and fruits and avoid wheat and dairy which can be triggers for digestive and health issues in Type O. Additionally, he suggests that Type O’s avoid caffeine and alcohol. Caffeine can be particularly harmful because of its tendency to raise adrenaline and noradrenaline, which are already high for Type O’s.

Energize - The Essential Exercise Component

Type O’s benefit tremendously from brisk regular exercise that taxes the cardiovascular and muscular skeletal system. But the benefit derived surpasses the goal of physical fitness. Type O also derives the benefit of a well timed chemical release system. The act of physical exercise releases a swarm of neurotransmitter activity that acts as a tonic for the entire system. The Type O who exercises regularly also has a better emotional response. You are more emotionally balanced as a result of well regulated, efficient chemical transport system. More than any other blood type, O’s rely on physical exercise to maintain physical health and emotional balance. Dr. D’Adamo suggests that Type O’s engage in regular physical activity three to four times per week. For best results, engage in aerobic activity for thirty to forty five minutes at least four times per week. If you are easily bored, choose two or three different exercises and vary your routine.

Dr. D’Adamo recommends that Type O, “Approach this program as a long term strategy. This is not a short term goal, rather a lifestyle that you adapt for a lifetime of health and well being. There is no doubt that there is a connection between the mind and the body. The knowledge that we can do something to change our genetic destiny is powerful.””


Very Interesting! My favorite part was this, “Type O’s benefit tremendously from brisk regular exercise that taxes the cardiovascular and muscular skeletal system. But the benefit derived surpasses the goal of physical fitness. Type O also derives the benefit of a well timed chemical release system. The act of physical exercise releases a swarm of neurotransmitter activity that acts as a tonic for the entire system. The Type O who exercises regularly also has a better emotional response. You are more emotionally balanced as a result of well regulated, efficient chemical transport system. More than any other blood type, O’s rely on physical exercise to maintain physical health and emotional balance.”

Hmm...what does that sound like?? RUNNING, maybe? I think SO!

I texted my mother-in-law who is a registered dietitian and asked her what she thought of the diet. She said it was part of her program and emailed me this chart.



Well there you have it! I knew that I needed to at least “try” this diet! I knew that running always felt like a tonic that soothed my hectic mind but, now I have science that backs it up! Well Dr. D’Adamo is right about running so lets see if he is right about my diet. I will say that I feel better when I eat meat. I’ve tried a short stint of eating no meat but ended up with no energy and super crabby. Which my Blood Type requires meat, it’s a part of me. On that note, I usually only eat organic, grass-fed beef. We have friends that raises and owns cattle so we buy part of cow twice a year.  Now I have to just cut out the dairy and the gluten as well as other things that I should “avoid” with my Blood Type. I’m sure somethings, such as “peanut butter” (yes, it’s an “avoid food”), I may just neglect to “avoid” but not until I have my trial run of it and then reintroduce it to see if it upsets my system at all. (I  downloaded an APP from their website to see what foods I should and should not eat) I’ll be doing additional blog posts to keep you posted on the effects of the diet and if it’s helping curb the bloating, nausea and mild depression. I have to say though this is Day 1 and I feel  fantastic!

Here are some “Stats” for those who like to judge it by the numbers:

Weight: 139 (I am  5’8 so this “healthy” for my height)

Bust: 37 inches (this will probably decrease once I stop nursing but who knows when that will be)

Ribcage: 30.5 inches

Waist: 28 inches

Love Handle Region (not sure what the correct term is for this,lol): 34.5 inches

Hips: 38 inches (at least 1 inch is scar tissue on my right hip so my hips always measure larger than my clothing size states)

Bloating: 8 (scale 1-10)

Nausea: 2 (scale 1-10)

Depression: 0 (scale 1-10)

Here is a brief view of some of the foods I will be eating on my Type O diet:
Adzuki Beans
Black Eyed Peas
Black Beans
Red Snapper
Cod/Atlantic
Halibut
Banana
Blueberry
Mango
Amaranth
Quinoa

Gluten Free Granola
Beef
Lamb
Chicken
Pumpkin Seeds
Walnuts/English
Almond Butter
Olive Oil
Flax Seed (Linseed Oil)
Almond Oil
Artichokes
Kale
Sweet Potato
Almond Milk
Rice Milk 
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Dr. D'Adamo nor have I been compensated in anyway to write this article. The nature of events that led to me researching and committing to The Blood Type Diet was word of mouth from those who have had success with this diet.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting, I am type O also. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this diet before, but it was a couple of years ago. I recently took pretty much all gluten out of my diet and have felt much better. I think that everything is so over processed that it just isn't good for us. I love rice and quinoa and veggies so I have been experimenting so I don't eat the same things everyday. It just makes it even more difficult when I cook dinner for my hubby too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating, Kris! I'll be curious to hear how it goes for you... I definitely think paying attention to what we eat can eliminate a lot of issues (fatigue, tummy troubles, etc) - hope you find what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to hear how it's going. I've been toying with the idea of going Paleo... fairly similar to the O diet you described above but just can't quite bring myself to give up dairy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris!! I am so grateful for this post and all the information. My hubby has struggled with all of the things mentioned from your step-brother and the article. I am so excited to share this info with him. We have known gluten didn't mesh well with him but it makes so much more sense now! So so grateful!

    I also am excited to see how you feel and how your body responds to the new way of eating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so interesting!!! I am Type O as well, not sure if I am neg or pos or if it matters, but I might look into this. I have hashimotos (underactive thyroid) and have read a lot about a gluten sensitivity connected to thryoid issues. maybe I should cut it out. I kind of skimmed, but am going to go back and read through the whole post - did you buy a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got most of the info from their website, I plan on buying the book but have read and did my genotyping with my step-sister's book. Sluggish thyroid is a typical type O issue and going off gluten may help you in that area as well.

      Delete