This question has been streaming through my head for over 10 weeks now.
You ask why 10 weeks?
Well 10 weeks ago I started "training" for a marathon...a FULL marathon...26.2 miles
While researching training plans and tips on training I came across this question on one of the web pages. They said to ask yourself why you would want to run a marathon because when the going gets tough you will need a real good reason to kick yourself out of bed at 4 am to go run 16, 18 or 20+ miles. And guess what? They were RIGHT!! Go figure...huh?
You may ask...(if anyone reads this)...why didn't you blog about this Kris?
Well my reason, although maybe an illogical one, was that I didn't think I would stick to the plan or fail mid-way through, but now I am mid-way through and feel pretty good about the whole experience. Although the 4 am and 5 am mornings are bit of a struggle I've somehow managed.
I'm still pondering this question...it actually compels me to run.
I think about it when I wake up and when I'm pounding the pavement and when I'm taking a shower or making dinner or sitting at work or playing with my daughter.
Here are some of the reasons I have come up with:
1) I tend to "give up" on things either because I get bored or it gets tough...I'm done with giving up...I want to push through and conquer!
2) I want to enjoy the journey every step of the way, even the agonizing steps, I want to LIVE my life and if running 26.2 miles helps me feel alive then I will RUN and RUN VIVACIOUSLY!!
3) Running is one of the things I have that helps me set goals,plan and triumph...it makes me feel victorious. The first half marathon I did gave me confidence that I can start what I finish(goes back to reason 1!)
4) Because how many people can say they enjoy running never-the-less 26.2 miles of running in the same day? If I enjoy running then I should RUN and RUN with JOY!
5) I want to build endurance and patience. I tend to want to rush through things, I like to sprint but I know this can't be my mindset always, can't do intervals every run, I want to learn distance. We need endurance and patience for life so it carries over to everyday life too.
6) I want to eat healthy. Food is Fuel and knowing I am running all the time helps me make better choices when it comes to food. I know a lot of people would say it could be an excuse to eat like a king but if you want to run and feel well you need to take care about what you put in your body.
7) I want to inspire my daughter to pursue goals in her life. I know she is only 2 1/2 but I know she will follow my ways whether good or bad and I want to set a good example.
8) My husband supports me and wants me to fulfill my dream of running 26.2.
9) I actually do dream about running 26.2 miles...weird I know but I've always been on the strange side. If you're a runner you'll understand.
10) Even if I do it once...I still did it!
11) It's better than sitting. Sitting is the "new" smoking!!
12) Everyone has to have at least 1 hobby.
13) Greatness is not passive, it's active!
.1) New shoes!
OK so I have 13.1 reasons, half of a marathon, and I'm half way through training.
I would share my training plan but I'm sort of switching plans and I may mould two plans creatively together. If anyone is interested I will post it. I started with a 16 week plan but then realized I couldn't find any marathons I wanted to run that were close enough to me to on November 3rd so I am extending my plan to 20 weeks and running the Seattle Marathon on December 1st, 2013.
So that's my little secret in a nut shell. I haven't posted in 3 months and 16 days so I won't be sad if no one comments. :)
Cheers to Running!
Remember folks... 'Eye of the Tiger'